Local Skateshop Day
October 9-10, 2010 (Annually 2nd Weekend in October)
Mission of Local Skateshop Day: To increase awareness, focus, and energy for core skateboard retailers.
The retail landscape is ever-changing and we, as an industry need to protect our culture and our partners and evolve with the times. So during this time we turn our energy to officially recognize the spirit and successes of the core skateboard retailers.
And since you asked... a core skateboard retailer is defined by IASC as a physical/ brick and mortar retailer whose product mix includes skateboarding specific items, including skate hard-goods, and which is a regional, privately owned entity. The store encapsulates the true spirit of skateboarding and consistently gives back to their local skate community.
How you choose the limited number of retailers is up to YOU- but you’d better get on it, because another company may have already decided to work with them too!
- Who Should Participate:
- IASC Member manufacturers and Specialty Skateboard Retailers everywhere
- What is Local Skateshop Day?
- Local SkateShop Day, conceived in 2009, by IASC to recognize core retailers as the true spirit of skateboarding. Having always been on the front lines, skateboard retailers represent the true passion by connecting and promoting skateboarding to the community, being a second home to the their local skaters, providing support to the old, current, and new generation of skaters, campaigning for skateparks, fighting for skateboarders rights, and in general being the epicenter of the skateboarding community.
- Why Local Skateshop Day?
- After years of growing Go Skateboarding Day (GSD) the retail community began asking for more. What more can we do together as manufacturers and retailers on a global level to elevate skate- boarding and create more in store traffic? A survey in TransWorld Business said 25% of retailers said they saw “a significant rise in sales” leading up to and during Go Skateboarding Day. and so the wheels began to turn. While GSD is a day to get out and skate- Local Skateshop Day is a day to pay a visit to the people who keep skateboarding rolling in towns around the world- the skateboard retailer.
- When is Local Skateshop Day?
- Annually 2nd Weekend in October. October 9-10, 2010. After kicking around ideas in 2009, IASC surveyed retailers and manufacturers on dates that would best fit their schedules. After a year of meeting and discussion the final dates were decided by vote in the IASC - BRA retailer roundtable at ASR and retailers decided October was their ideal month. Typically a slow month for retailers, October is a time the specialty shop could use a little push to get their loyal customers in the door and new customers thinking about the shop as a place to find items for the upcoming holiday season.
How Local Skateshop Day Can Enhance Your Brand
Go Skateboarding Day began as a few industry events in Southern California and grew to thousands of events around the globe. Local Skateshop Day, in it’s first year, is part of a growing movement to grow local, buy local, and support local communities.
All year long retailers ask for support for events or their shop employees- consider the most passionate, skate-centric retailers you currently work with and create a unique promotional opportunity to show appreciation to the retail staff and bring people in to their store. This is the time of year to create that one-of-a-kind draw for the retailers and their customer base. Some suggestions...
Marketing for Your Retailers
- Limited gift with purchase - only available this one weekend
- Send pros to their hometown skateshop to grip boards behind the counter
- Send autographed decks, posters, used equipment, etc. from your pros to the shops
Get Your Sales Reps Involved
- ...this is the day to create that push for your core retailers
- Limited edition product available ONLY to shop employees
- Shop teams incentives (shop team with the best footage wins a year sponsorship by your brand!)
- Shop team demos supported by your brand
Get the word out on the streets!
- Promote it on your web site and we will provide a link to your supporting brands
- Retailers who put the Local Skateshop Days logo and link on their web site get a link on the local skateshop day IASC site (or BRA site)
- Send out a release or calendar alert to local press
- Put it on your Facebook, Twitter, or other time wasting social network sites and link back to the Local Skateshop Days page
|Anime To Skateboards||Southgate, MI,||734-246-5877|
|Asylum Skate||Oceanside, CA||760-722-7675|
|Beach Break||Cedar City, UT||435-586-7469|
|Black Mamba Skatepark||Dewitt, NY||315-422-9500|
|Blades Board SK8||New York, NY||212-787-3911|
|Blindside Sports||Colorado Springs, CO||719-636-1554|
|Canvas Skate Shop||162 W. Pine Street, Suite
Mount Airy, NC 27030
|Damage||1904 W. Superior Street
Duluth, MN 55806
|East Coast Surf Products||Larchmont, NY||914-630-2737|
|Fairman’s Skate||43 West Gay Street
West Chester, PA 19380
|Fast Forward||Austin, TX||512-869-8555|
|Ground Zero||Sacramento, CA||916-928-7001|
|IDS||Los Angeles, CA||323-263-5445|
|Innerlight Surf Shop||Pensacola, FL||850-432-3566|
|Killer Skatepark||Evansville, IN||812-402-2940|
|Kona Skatepark||8739 Kona Ave.
Jacksonville, FL 32211
|Modern Skate & Surf||923 E. Walled Lake Drive
Walled Lake, MI 48390
|MOTIV8||Villa Park, IL||630-833-3747|
|Newblood Sk8 Shop||882 17th Street
Vero Beach, FL 32960
|Old Skull Skateboards||Fairport, NY||585-797-4473|
|Peter Glenn||Delray Beach, FL||561-330-8501|
|Pioneer Boardshop||North Hampton, NH||603-964-7714|
|Premier Skateboarding||Grand Rapids, MI||616-742-2660|
|S&W Sports||Concord, NH||603-228-1441|
|Shredder Sports||New Hazelton, BC||250-842-0110|
|Spyder Surfboards||Hermosa Beach, CA||877-SPYDER2|
|Street Grind Skate Shop||Harlingen, TX||956-425-6681|
|Surface Boardshop||Langford, BC||250-391-7283|
|TGM Skates||Mt Clemens, MI||586-775-2760|
|The Agency Boardshop||Yucaipa, CA||909-797-3700|
|Totally Board||La Grange, IL||708-588-1400|
|Treasure Coast Sk8 Shop||900 Village Square Ste #1
Sebastian, FL 32958
|Vertical Urge||7449 Six Forks Road
Raleigh, NC 27615
|ZJ’s Boarding House||Santa Monica, CA||310-392-5646|